Classic bathroom designs generally take inspiration from design trends, materials and decor connected to specific historical eras. Victorian and colonial styles come to mind when traditional design is mentioned, but in fact, this design style doesn't necessarily have to be overtly era-specific.
In some respects, it's easier to define classic bathroom design in terms of what it's not: sleek, modern, contemporary or minimalist designs generally would fail to qualify.
Surfaces are an important element of classic bathroom designs. Countertops most often feature natural or faux-natural materials, like stone, slate or granite. Floor and wall tile choices range from historical to vintage, with subway, hexagonal or penny tile all popular types.
It's also possible to mix and match eras in a traditional bathroom design, although you probably wouldn't want the effect to be too jarring — for example, pairing a stoic, unadorned colonial style with vintage 1940s accessories or classic pink and black tilework would likely cause some visual confusion. If possible, try to pair decorative touches from adjacent eras for a subtle but visually interesting effect.
When it comes to furniture for traditional bathrooms, natural materials are definitely featured most commonly. High-quality wood pieces are often used for sink cabinet bases, benches or chairs.
- 2017 Attractive Classic Bathroom Design In Minimalist Style Image 1 of 29
- 2017 Wonderful Elegant Classic White Bathroom With Double Vanity & Soaking Tub Image 2 of 29
- Chic Freestanding Tub Boasts Classic Tub Filler Image 3 of 29
- Classic Bathroom Design For Small Interior Space Image 4 of 29
- Classic Bathroom Interior With Wooden Cabinets And Modern Curtains Image 5 of 29
- Classic Cabana Bathroom With Natural Bamboo Floor And Wicker Tub Image 6 of 29
- Classic Cottage Style Bathroom With Floral Wall Decoration Image 7 of 29
- Classic Double Vanity Bathroom With White Claw Foot Tub Image 8 of 29
- Classic Master Bath With Marble Surround Tub And Vintage Chandelier Lighting Image 9 of 29
- Classic Master Bathroom With Coastal Style Image 10 of 29
- Classic Open Bathroom Interior With Wooden Flooring Image 11 of 29
- Classic Red Bathroom With A Claw Foot Tub And Chandelier Also Tied Back Curtains Image 12 of 29
- Classic Wooden Bathroom Rustic Interior Design Image 13 of 29
- Classy French Style Bathroom With Claw Foot Tub Image 14 of 29
- Claw Foot Tub For Classic Bathroom Interior Decoration Image 15 of 29
- Cozy Classic Bathroom Interior Design Ideas With Modern Lighting Image 16 of 29
- Cute Classic Bathroom In Pink Color Theme And Wallpaper Decoration Image 17 of 29
- Elegance Classic Bathroom With Ustom Roman Shades And Beige Cabinetry Image 18 of 29
- Elegant Clawfoot Tub Brings Classic Element To Luxurious Master Bathroom Image 19 of 29
- Enormous Classic Bathroom Exudes Luxury Large Interior Image 20 of 29
- Giant Open Classic And Luxury Bathroom And Shower Space With Gray Marble TIle Walls Image 21 of 29
- Glamorous And Functional Classic Bathroom Interior With Soaking Tub Image 22 of 29
- Italian Classic Brown Bathroom With Freestanding Tub And Chandelier Lighting Image 23 of 29
- Marble Countertops For Classic Bathroom Interior With Full Length Curtains And Two Spacious Vanities Image 24 of 29
- Neoclassical Bathroom Interior Furniture And Cabinets Image 25 of 29
- Romantic Classical Bathroom With Luxurious Whirlpool Bathtub Image 26 of 29
- Soft Gray Classical Bathroom With Marble Flooring And Countertop Image 27 of 29
- Sophisticated Master Bathroom With Classic Style Image 28 of 29
- Whirlpool Bathtub In Stunning White Classic Bathroom Image 29 of 29